Need ideas for your upcoming employee newsletters? Check out our list of key October dates & events, with links to helpful resources. Be sure to remind staff about EAP availability as a free, confidential source of help.
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month – Whether you or a loved one are worried about developing breast cancer, have just been diagnosed, are going through breast cancer treatment, or are trying to stay well after treatment, this detailed information can help you find the answers you need. Fore more information, see:
- Breast Cancer Early Detection and Diagnosis
- Breast Cancer in Men
- Ways to get involved an support in Breast Cancer Awareness
- Breast Cancer Awareness In The Workplace
Domestic Violence Awareness Month — Domestic Violence is also known as “family violence” or Intimate Partner Violence (IPV), it affects almost 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men in their lifetime, yet it’s a topic that’s often avoided. IPV encompasses physical violence, sexual violence, stalking, aggression, or emotional harm by a current or former partner, regardless of sexual orientation. The pandemic has exacerbated IPV due to isolation, job loss, and stressors. Victims, held back by fear and shame, rarely discuss, or seek help, resulting in hidden danger until severe harm occurs. If you or someone you care about faces abuse, reach out for help. In emergencies, dial 911. Your EAP also offers counseling and self-help tools to help you recognize signs, create safety plans, and locate local shelters. You can also contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY). Your safety matters!
National Bullying Prevention Month – When adults respond quickly and consistently to bullying behavior they send the message that it is not acceptable. Research shows this can stop bullying behavior over time. But bullying isn’t confined to children. Adults can be bullied, threatened, and harassed, too. Here are additional resources on bullying.
- PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center
- Psychology Today: Bullying
- How Bullying Manifests at Work — and How to Stop It
- Workplace Bullying Institute
Cyber Security Awareness Month – 2023 marks 20 Years of Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This year will focus on four key behaviors all month long:
Other noteworthy October dates:
- 10/8 – Depression Screening Day
- 10/8-10/14 – Fire Prevention Week
- 10/10 – World Mental Health Day
- 10/28 – National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day – safely dispose of dangerous drugs
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- Liver Cancer Awareness Month
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month
Blog posts you may have missed