Hurricane Irma : preparation, tools & resources
It’s proving to be a tough year for record-breaking natural disasters. Right on the heels of Hurricane Harvey and the terrible Texas flooding, Hurricane Irma is bearing down hard on Florida. The monster storm has already taken a heavy toll on the Caribbean islands of Barbuda and St. Marten; thankfully, it has mostly skirted Puerto Rico. Florida has imposed mandatory evacuations in several areas of the state and is bracing for impact. Depending on the way the path breaks, the impact could also extend to coastal cities in other states. We’re compiling general Hurricane Irma resources, as well as specific information for Florida and will update resources over the course of the crisis.
Florida Emergency Information Line (FEIL) — 800-342-3557 – FEIL line is currently activated and available 24 hours/7 days a week.
Text FLPREPARES to 888777 to receive updates via text
- Florida Division of Emergency Management – Find weather and other updates, as well as info on shelters, road closures, and evacuation routes. See this information page for evacuation orders,
- Gov. Scott Issues Updates on Hurricane Irma Preparedness – general information and helpful resources
- National Hurricane Center and Twitter for updated weather and hurricane advisories
- Florida Power Tracker – check for outages
- Florida511 traffic alerts. Get the Florida511 app.
- Florida state office closures
- Resources from the Florida Department of Education – List of school & university closures and a list of shelters.
- Find open shelters – Red Cross
- Airbnb Disaster Response Program for Hurricane Irma
- Volunteer Florida – Call 1-800-FL-Help-1
General Hurricane Irma resources
- Prepare for Hurricanes – Red Cross
- FEMA – Hurricane Irma and download the FEMA app for tools and tips to keep you safe before, during, and after disasters.
- Ready.gov: Hurricanes – before, during, after
- Google crisis response: Hurricane Irma
- UDGS Hurricane Irma – water conditions, coastal hazards, water watch flood maps
- Facebook Safety Check – Hurricane Irma
- American Red Cross Safe & Well check
- Find a local foodbank
- FDA Offers Tips about Medical Devices and Hurricane Disasters
- Food and Water Safety During Power Outages and Floods