Boost Your Nutrition to Boost Your Health!
March is National Nutrition Month, a good time to think about what we eat and how we can improve our diets to maximize our health. But when it comes to expert advice on good nutrition and healthy dining, does it seem like the goal posts keep moving? Certainly, there are a lot of food fads and diets of the day, but the basics have remained consistent over the years. A recent article in the New York Times on nutrition myths quotes nutrition expert Dr. Marion Nestle: “In the 1950s, the first dietary recommendations for prevention of obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and the like advised balancing calories and minimizing foods high in saturated fat, salt, and sugar. The current U.S. Dietary Guidelines urge the same.” The article also cites author Michael Pollan’s seven simple words of advice: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
Here are some tips we’ve gathered from nutrition experts and our own coaches over the years:
• Don’t skip breakfast • Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables • Increase your fiber intake • Watch portion sizes • Learn to read food labels • Make healthy, colorful snacks • Drink more water • Reduce consumption of processed foods • Cook with fresh, local ingredients • Search menus for healthy options when dining out • Limit added sugar and salt • Eat seafood twice a week • Explore new foods and flavors • Experiment with plant-based meals • Slow down – practice mindful eating • Cut down on saturated fats • Avoid sugary drinks • Practice “5 a day” for your intake of fruits and vegetables.
- Consult with your EAP Wellness Coach! Connect by phone at 800-252-4555 for one-on-one coaching 24/7 to get support for reaching your nutrition and fitness goals.
- Click “Member Login” at www.theEAP.com to access reliable articles, videos, and self-assessments for dealing with stress, diet, fitness, and smoking.
Cool Tools for Money Management
Explore dozens of money management calculators by logging in to your Self-Help Resources. Here’s just a sampling:
- Cool Million Calculator – What might it take to save one million dollars? This financial calculator helps you find out!
- Home: Rent vs. Buy Calculator – Weigh the variables to help you decide between these options.
- S. 1040EZ Tax Form Calculator – Get an estimate of your refund or the amount of tax you may owe.
- Compare Savings Rates Calculator – Find out how different savings rates can impact your savings strategy!
Boost your knowledge this month by exploring thousands of online E-Learning courses – we’ve offered a few suggestions to get you started. Click “Member Login” at www.theEAP.com, and when you are signed in, click on the comprehensive training library in the “Training Center.”
- New! Professional Excellence: Effective Communication Techniques | Course ID: SVL_104424
In this 7-minute video, you’ll learn about body language, the power of kickball, the pitfalls of gossiping, and so much more!
- New! How to Effectively Address Racism | Course ID: SVL_014592
This 19-minute video course talks about how to address racism with your family, friends, and coworkers as you work to create an antiracism environment in your everyday life.
- Wellness Toolkit: The Science of Good Sleep | Course ID: SVL_1020495
Learn about sleep cycles, the amount of sleep you need, and the many ways that sleep benefits us every day in this 8-minute video.
How to Scan a QR Code
1. Open the camera app.
2. Select the rear-facing camera in Photo mode.
3. Center the QR code you want to scan on the screen
and hold your phone steady for a couple of seconds.
4. Tap the notification that pops up to open the link.
(You will need to be connected to the internet to do this.)
EAP services are available to you and your household members as well as dependent children living away from home, up to age 26.
ESI EAP’s Featured March Webinar
Caring for the Caregiver – Every month, a webinar and related resources are featured at the top of the member site. Simply log in to www.theEAP.com during the month of March to explore the resources or take the webinar at your convenience.
Events in March
- National Nutrition Month
- Women’s History Month
- March 12th – Daylight Savings Time
- March 12th-18th – National Sleep Awareness Week
- March 19th-25th – National Poison Prevention Week
Accessing Your EAP Training Center
1. Go to www.theEAP.com and
click Member Login.
2. If you’ve already created an
account, log in with your User
3. If it’s your first time, click
REGISTER to create your User
Name and Password. You only
need to register once.
4. Click the ‘Training Center’ and
then choose ‘Comprehensive
5. In the Search bar at the top of the
screen, type the course code or
search for a topic.
6. Click the course icon, and click the
‘Play’ or ‘Start’ button to begin.
To get a certificate: View the course and take the quiz. Not all courses require a quiz, but if so, you must score at least 80% for a certificate. To get your certificate, click on the ribbon icon below the right corner of the video. The certificate will download to your computer.