Tips for When You’re Feeling S.A.D.
Feeling sad lately? Some call it winter depression, being down in the dumps, or having “the blues.” Health professionals have another term: Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D. for short. Most experts think it is linked to low light and the body’s melatonin level. People who suffer from S.A.D. report low energy, irritability, sleep disorders, headaches, weight gain, and other symptoms. Here are steps you can take to feel better:
- Lighten up. Open blinds or add skylights to your home or office. If you can’t do that, add more artificial light, which can ease symptoms of S.A.D. Many people find light therapy lamps helpful.
- Boost your vitamin D intake. We absorb much of our Vitamin D from sun, but you can also get it in your food. Ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level to see if you need a supplement.
- Get outside. Activity is a good antidote to S.A.D., so go hiking, walking, skiing or skating with friends to combine social interaction with exercise.
- Reach out for help. If symptoms persist, talk to a physician to ask about alternate treatments. And you can call an EAP counselor to get help for depression or other mental health issues anytime, day or night!
Keep Those Resolutions!
If you want to attain life improvement goals or kick old bad habits to the curb in 2022,
your EAP is here to help. Our counselors and coaches study the dynamics of change and can
suggest strategies to reach your goals. Or you can tap into self-help tools, online services,
and thousands of trainings and micro-learning courses. Log in to www.theEAP.com to learn about available benefits and to get ideas for self-improvement in the new year. You can also
call the EAP at 1.800.252.4555 to discuss your specific challenges and obtain ongoing emotional support.
E-Learning Popular Picks
We continually add new trainings to our vast library of more than 9,000+ online E-Learning courses. To check out a few popular, new courses, login at www.theEAP.com, click the “Training Center” icon and choose the “New & Improved Trainings” icon.
- NEW! Meditation | Course ID: SVL_014433
Revitalize your energy with stress-reducing meditation through a series of engaging, informational micro-videos. (31 minutes in total)
- NEW! The Do’s and Don’ts of Being a Team Player | Course ID: SVL_1021263
Be a true asset to your team. In this 7-minute video, you’ll learn pitfalls that can keep you from being a team player, as well as actions to support your coworkers.
- NEW! How to Advocate for Yourself | Course ID: SVL_1021238
This 8 minute video offers a step-by-step guide to have better, more effective conversations when facing an issue you need to discuss with your manager.
See What Our Members are Saying…
“Every employer should have your EAP.”
“EAP listened and made me feel like they truly cared and wanted
to help work through things and gave the tools to do so.”
“I have recommended you to 5 co-workers due to my experience with you.”
EAP services are available to you and your household members as well as dependent children living away from home, up to age 26.
Nearly 1 in 5 people are now providing care to an adult with health or functional needs. This takes a tremendous toll on the health of the caregiver. If you are a caregiver and feeling overwhelmed, your EAP can help. Our counseling phone lines are always open and you can login to your Member website. Click Caregiver Resources to find help for:
• Adult and child daycare
• Senior centers
• Nursing homes
• Assisted living facilities
• In-home services
• Geriatric care facilities
• Transportation assistance
Accessing the EAP Training Center
1. Go to www.theEAP.com
2. Click the Employee and
Family login button.
3. If you have already created a
User Name and Password,
simply enter that info in the
appropriate boxes. If you have
not registered, complete
steps (a) & (b).
- a) Click on REGISTER.
b) Fill out the Registration
Form to create your own
User Name and Password,
then click Register. You only
need to register once.
4. Click the “Training Center”
5. Then click the “New &
Improved Trainings” icon.
6. Search Content bar at the top
of the screen, type the course
7. Click on the course icon.
8. Click the ‘Play’ or ‘Start’
button to begin the course.
9. After viewing the course and
taking the quiz (you must score
at least an 80% to receive a
certificate), click on the ribbon
icon below the right corner of
Please Note: The certificate will download to your computer. Not all courses require a quiz.