Advice for Happy Holiday Dynamics
For most people, getting together with family and friends is the biggest joy of the holiday season. But after a few years of small and low-key pandemic holiday celebrations, you can be forgiven if you need to brush up on your social skills and etiquette. We asked our counselors to share their best tips for surviving the holiday season with minimal stress. Here’s what they said:
- Keep realistic expectations. Things won’t always go according to plan. Embrace imperfection. Relax.
- Put down the devices and turn off the electronics. Make a “no-electronics” rule at special meals and gatherings.
- Keep a sense of humor. Laughter, humor, and a positive attitude are contagious and can cover a multitude of sins.
- Be a giver, not a taker. Listen more than you talk. Give more than you get. Kindness and generosity build happiness and reduce stress.
- Be flexible. Traditions change as families expand. Roll with the changes and remember that it’s about people and sharing, not rituals.
- Avoid touchy topics. Steer clear of topics that lead to arguments. If you can’t do that, then practice tolerance. Give people the benefit of the doubt.
- Forgive and forget. The holidays are the perfect time to free yourself from the burden of old grudges. Forgiveness is liberating and a gift to both the forgiver and the forgiven.
Build Resilience for a Successful 2023!
If you’re looking to make some changes or achieve personal or professional goals in the coming year, here’s a good place to start: Building your resilience.
Think of resilience as a psychological competence that allows us to lead authentic, fulfilling, balanced lives. It equips us to adapt to life’s misfortunes and setbacks and get back up on our feet. It also helps us to follow our dreams and achieve important life goals. It’s important that we recognize the vital role that it plays in our lives, and that we work to nurture and grow our personal resilience. Much like a muscle, it benefits by our flexing it, exercising it, and keeping it in shape.
Login to your Self-Help Resources at www.theEAP.com and enter “building resilience” in the search box to access the Resilience Journey training, as well as a webinar, training bites, articles, recommended apps, books, and podcasts.
Choose from thousands of online E-Learning courses, many of them in short micro-learning bursts you can take at your convenience. We add new topics every month. Log in at www.theEAP.com and click on the comprehensive training library in the “Training Center.”
- NEW! What You Need to Succeed Entrepreneurial Skills: How to Lead and Influence Others |
Course ID: SVL_074093
5-minute video discusses the difference between being a leader and an influencer, building trust, active listening, and setting a positive example.
- Safe Driving: Winter Weather | Course ID: SVL_1026410
This 8-minute video explains how to prepare for and handle wintry road conditions while driving.
- Conflict De-Escalation | Course ID: SVL_104331
This 3-part 19-minute series helps you learn to recognize and remove biases, listen actively and developing a solution mindset.
How to Scan a QR Code
1. Open the camera app.
2. Select the rear-facing camera in Photo mode.
3. Center the QR code you want to scan on the screen
and hold your phone steady for a couple of seconds.
4. Tap the notification that pops up to open the link.
(You will need to be connected to the internet to do this.)
EAP services are available to you and your household members as well as dependent children living away from home, up to age 26.
Holiday Survival Toolkit
Click to Visit Our
2022 Holiday Survival Toolkit
- Month of December
National Safe Toys
and Gifts Month
- December 1st
World AIDS Day
- December 3rd
International Day of
Persons with Disability
- December 5th-9th
National Influenza Vaccination Week
We’re Here if You Need us Over the Holidays!
Holidays can be stressful! If it all gets to be too much, your EAP is here to help 24-7-365. Just give us a call at 1-800-252-4555.
Accessing Your EAP Training Center
1. Go to www.theEAP.com and
click Member Login.
2. If you’ve already created an
account, log in with your User
3. If it’s your first time, click
REGISTER to create your User
Name and Password. You only
need to register once.
4. Click the ‘Training Center’ and
then choose ‘Comprehensive
5. In the Search bar at the top of the
screen, type the course code or
search for a topic.
6. Click the course icon, and click the
‘Play’ or ‘Start’ button to begin.
To get a certificate: View the course and take the quiz. Not all courses require a quiz, but if so, you must score at least 80% for a certificate. To get your certificate, click on the ribbon icon below the right corner of the video. The certificate will download to your computer.