Don’t Let Stress Get the Best of You!
People continue to report high levels of stress. In fact, chronic stress is one of the most frequent reasons people turn to ESI EAP. We all feel stress now and then, but if it continues and interferes with our lives, it can take a toll on health. It has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, weight gain, and other medical conditions. People often turn to unhealthy measures to try to relieve stress, such as drinking too much, eating too much, or relying on drugs. Plus, stress often manifests itself in anger and anxiety, which might explain some of the outbursts of rudeness we’re seeing on air flights and in the public square.
Although you can’t eliminate stress, you can learn to control it through stress management techniques. If you’re feeling stressed or if things seem to be too much, remember that your EAP offers a variety of stress management benefits and resources to you and your family members. Here’s a sampling:
- One-to-one professional coaching for Stress Management & Resilience
- Telephonic counseling from clinical professionals 24/7/365 for stress, anxiety, depression, mental health issues, and more
- Online self-help resources and video courses
- Special coaching programs and tools to help with issues that can cause stress, such as debt and family dynamics
- Health and wellness tools that address fitness, sleep, and nutrition, and other healthy strategies that can help minimize stress
Did you know that alcohol is the third-leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. each year?
Annually, about 95,000 people die from alcohol-related causes. And that may increase because a recent survey by scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital found excessive drinking increased by 21% during the pandemic.
But how do you know what is “excessive”? Ask yourself these questions:
- Interfere with or disrupt your work, family, or relationships?
- Have a negative effect on your physical, mental, or emotional health?
- Pose a safety, health, or financial risk? Cause anxiety, discomfort, irritability, or illness when stopped?
- Result in arguments?
- Pose difficulties in limiting or stopping?
- Continue even in the face of negative consequences?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might want to seek help! Your EAP has counselors and coaches you can speak with, or you can login at www.theEAP.com to take an assessment and explore more about alcohol and substance abuse.
E-Learning Popular Picks
We frequently add new trainings to our vast library of 10,000+ online E-Learning courses. Check out popular new courses by logging in at www.theEAP.com, clicking the “Training Center” icon and choosing “New & Improved Trainings.”
- NEW! Respecting the Boundaries of Others | Course ID: SVL_1021413
In this 7-minute video, learn to understand and respect other people’s personal boundaries to be a more effective part of a team.
- NEW! Thriving Under Pressure | Course ID: SVL_1021411
This 8-minute video offers helpful tips for productively managing high-pressure situations to generate positive results.
- Three Important Rules for Stress Relief | Course ID: SVL_014368
A best-selling author and business coach reveals three important guidelines for stress relief in this 7-minute video.
EAP services are available to you and your household members as well as dependent children living away from home, up to age 26.
Don’t Get Scammed!
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reports that fraud and scams were at an all-time high in 2021, with an increase of more than 70% over the prior year. More than 2.8 million consumers reported fraud, here were the most common categories:
- • Imposter scams
- • Online shopping scams
- • Prizes, sweepstakes, and
- • Internet service scams
- • Business and job
- Check out the FTC’s fraud resources for consumers, featuring the latest scam alerts and tools for recognizing and avoiding common types of fraud.
Accessing Your EAP Training Center
1. Go to www.theEAP.com and click Employee and Family login.
2. If you’ve already created an account, log in with your User Name/Password.
3. If it’s your first time, click REGISTER to create your
User Name and Password.
You only need to register once.
4. Click the ‘Training Center’ and then choose ‘New & Improved Trainings.’
5. In the Search bar at the top of the screen, type the course code or search for a topic.
6. Click the course icon, and
click the ‘Play’ or ‘Start’ button to begin.
To get a certificate: View the course and take the quiz. Not all courses require a quiz, but if so, you must score at least 80% for a certificate. To get your certificate, click on the ribbon icon below the right corner of the video. The certificate will download to your computer.