Once or twice a year, we like to offer a compilation of anything new that has happened in FMLA, along with some of the best articles and resources we’ve seen on the topic in employment law and HR blogs and publications. You can see our last update in February 2015: FMLA Update – News Tips and Resources. It includes some updated Fact Sheets and guidance about joint employment.
In May, we posted about FMLA Issues New Employee Poster & Employer’s Guide
In July, we posted about ADA Reasonable Accommodation: Expert Insight – important due to the intersection with FMLA
One important recent change: HR.BLR reports that ERISA, FLSA, FMLA penalties increased by DOL rule
Other noteworthy articles include:
Administration / Management
- SHRM – Technology Reshapes FMLA Management
- HR.BLR – Determining FMLA eligibility: What to do when state and federal laws differ
- SHRM – Inform Employees About Their Benefits When Taking Leaves of Absence
- HR.BLR – Managing medical certifications under FMLA: Return to work
- FMLA – Insights: Must an Employer Accept FMLA Medical Certification from an Online Health Care Provider? And What If It’s an LCPC?
- SHRM – Approving FMLA Leave Does Not Automatically Rule Out Liability
- The World Of HR – Can You Legally Terminate An Employee Who Does Not Return To Work After FMLA Leave Ends?
- SHRM – Deducting Overtime from Leave Allotment Violated FMLA