Fast Company is one of our favorite business reads, a frequent go-to print and online business publication that was founded by two former Harvard Business Review editors in 1995. It has a progressive business slant, focusing such topics as leadership, innovation, technology and creativity.
In November, they held an Innovation Festival in New York featuring keynotes with speakers ranging from Melinda Gates and Tim Armstrong to Samantha Bee and Cher. From the festival, they produced a special report highlighting lessons from more than 96 of the event’s speakers, chosen by writers and editors to inspire, instruct, and foster creativity. Explore articles from the entire selection of the Innovation Festival in the February 2017 edition.
For a sampling, see Robert Safian’s selections in his article How to Lead in 2017 or the central leadership question of 2017: What do you do when the unexpected arrives? Safian talks about the difficulties we face when something doesn’t go according to plan, when the unexpected occurs suddenly, illustrating this with a quote from Mike Tyson, who said “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Safian examines the issue of how we adjust to the unexpected, suggesting that the key is in finding our compass through a clear sense of purpose. He points to the stories several business leaders and challenges they faced to illustrate his point.
- PepsiCo’s CEO Indra Nooyi
- Chobani’s CEO Hamdi Ulukaya
- Facebook’s Engineering VP Regina Dugan
- Under Armour’s Kevin Plank And Golf Star Jordan Spieth
- Model Karlie Kloss
Here’s a sampling of a few other articles that might be of particular interest to HR managers and leaders:
- How Great Leaders Hire The Right People – A quick read – four top executives share how they go deep with candidates
- Four quick tips on How to Hold Meetings People Want to Attend
- A slide show, 27 Leadership Lessons From Facebook, NASA, Slack, And More, which offers tips on guiding teams large and small.